List:       mercurial
Subject:    Re: hg convert - can't read from repo type
From:       "Ken Blake" <kblake2 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-11-01 17:28:59

I tried using 0.9.5 and the cvs authentication problem is fixed.  It turns out
that 0.9.4 was not getting the password correctly.  I tested what happens
if 0.9.5 fails to authenticate and it now gives a good error message, unlike
0.9.4 which reported "can't read from repo type".  I still think doing
the authentication before the call to cvsps would be an improvement if
this
doesn't break anything (my simple test of it worked).

I successfully did a conversion (I think) but have some questions.  The
conversion took nearly 14 hours.  Is that typical?  I ran with --profile,
here are the top two functions:

  ncalls  tottime  percall  cumtime  percall filename:lineno(function)
  1425916 27147.181    0.019 27147.181    0.019 socket.py:321(readline)
   203702 21658.809    0.106 21658.809    0.106 socket.py:278(read)

Here is some info about the size of the repo:
$ du -sk .hg
178344  .hg
$ du -sk .
300480  .

$ hg verify
checking changesets
checking manifests
crosschecking files in changesets and manifests
checking files
20339 files, 33153 changesets, 202652 total revisions

The average conversion time per changeset was ~1.5 seconds.  Is there
really that much to do per changeset or is the communication time with
the cvs server the problem?   It's good this only needs to be done once,
not counting updates which I expect will be much faster.

$ hg manifest | wc -l
11617

I would have thought this number would be the same as the number of
files listed in the verify output.

$ hg status | wc -l
11707

Why are there all these uncommitted files?  Every one is preceded by a
question mark indicating it is a new file.  Is the proper procedure to follow
this with an hg checkout?  This was unexpected.  Is there anything else
I need to do?

I haven't been able to find any good descriptions of how people have
converted from cvs, svn, etc. to mercurial.  I still have many questions about
the conversion process and it would be good to read other peoples accounts.
I've been using mercurial for a few months and really like it but my usage has
been fairly simple.  I'd like to get a second person at my company using it so
we can try collaborating - something that is an utter nightmare with cvs.

Thanks,
Ken