List:       mandrake-newbie
Subject:    Re: [newbie] mandriva 2007 acpi install
From:       RickS <irsissz () wowway ! com>
Date:       2007-02-07 22:45:43

Gregg Jorgenson (gregg@clayton.shacknet.nu) wrote:
> Hi
Hi Gregg,
> I have an asus p4p800 motherboard and an asus ti4800se video card. When
> installing mandriva 2007 I have a problem that has not happened on previous
> mandriva installations on the same hardware (9 and 10.1).
Between 2005 and 2006 on different hardware, the kernel required me
to append "lacpi pci=routeirq" to get a stable box working, no
crashes. This is only to illustrate that with a new kernel these
things can happen.

[...]
> A google search suggests this problem is not unique suggesting using lines
> in boot options to force no acpi. I have not tried this but it will probably
> produce the same result ie will not shut down.
Probably? maybe if others suggested it, why not try it and check the
stabiltity if it starts X ... use the force =)
    acpi=force

> Does anyone know how to do an acpi enabled install on similar hardware but
> make the graphical server start.

These are some of the kernel parameters for 2.6.17 (from
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt)

    acpi=[HW,ACPI] Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
         Format: { force | off | ht | strict | noirq }
             force -- enable ACPI if default was off
             off -- disable ACPI if default was on
             noirq -- do not use ACPI for IRQ routing
             ht -- run only enough ACPI to enable Hyper Threading
             strict -- Be less tolerant of platforms that are not
                       strictly ACPI specification compliant.

             See also Documentation/pm.txt, pci=noacpi

    lapic[IA-32,APIC] Enable the local APIC even if BIOS
                      disabled it.

    nolapic    [IA-32,APIC] Do not enable or use the local APIC.

    apic       [SMP,APIC] Tells the kernel to not make use of any
               IOAPICs that may be present in the system.

    pci=option[,option...][PCI] various PCI subsystem options:

         noacpi     [IA-32] Do not use ACPI for IRQ routing
                    or for PCI scanning.
         routeirq   Do IRQ routing for all PCI devices.
                    This is normally done in pci_enable_device(),
                    so this option is a temporary workaround
                    for broken drivers that don't call it.

Hopefully helpfull,
--
RickS
If we can ever make red tape nutritional, we can feed the world.