List:       mandrake-expert
Subject:    Re: [Expert] Taming the KAT - was Question about nice and priority
From:       rikona <rikona () sonic ! net>
Date:       2006-06-03 3:23:13

On Friday, June 2, 2006, 7:55:47 PM, Ben wrote:

B> On Friday 02 June 2006 12:26 pm, rikona Climbed A Telegraph Pole and Clicked:
>> On Thursday, June 1, 2006, 8:04:24 PM, John Campbell wrote:
>>
>> JC> My solution for kat was "killall -9 kat ; urpme kat."
>>
>> Mine too, but would lowering the priority to the lowest possible level
>> tame KAT enough to actually have it running?
>>
>> JC> There are a number of programs that Mandriva had no business
>> JC> installing into the default config...kat is one...
>>
>> Totally agree....
>>
>> If a low priority helps fix KAT, is it possible to have the default
>> install such that it runs with the lowest possible priority?
>>
>> I'd like to explore using it, but there's NO WAY I'm going to have it
>> as it is now.

B> I have recently done an urpmi kat  from internet media just to try
B> it out. It looks like they may have tamed the kat somewhat.  It
B> sits on it's tray quietly purring away.  It doesn't bother me and I
B> don't often bother it. It may be worth a second glance.

When I first installed, kat was docile. It got totally out of control
when I put in several thousand files, maybe 20 Gigs or so, in the
course of juggling/backing up on the lan. Rendered the box useless.
Have you tried the 'new' kat with lots of files?

--
Thanks for the info,
 rikona                            mailto:rikona@sonic.net