List:       mandrake-expert
Subject:    Re: [expert] Dell laptop hangs with 9.2 when lid closed. SOLVED!!
From:       James Sparenberg <james () opencountry ! org>
Date:       2003-11-11 6:29:49

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 22:02, Mof wrote:
> The "rpm -e -nodeps suspend-scripts" didn't work, so it became obvious that it
> was a kernel problem, so I thought I'd upgrade to the latest kernel, and see
> what happens, but as I was doing that I noticed something odd in lilo.conf :
>
> append="quiet devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent"
>
> First off I really don't know what acpi=ht means.
> What is ht ??
> So I changed it to "on"
> But wait!!!!! Look right next to that and you'll see the "causer of all pain"
> "resume=/dev/hda5"
> But /dev/hda5 is my bloody swap partition!!!!
> After removing the resume=/dev/hda5, it works fine now!

Yep,  it was using the same partition of the suspend as it was for
swap.  Whereas suspend to swap does use a swap partition to suspend, it
doesn't use one that is mounted and when you use swap it really mucks
with what swsuspend writes there.  In other words if you had a second
swap not in fstab (partitioned in size to about 20% over ram) That isn't
listed in fstab then suspend to swap should work right for you.
It's up to you if you want to experiment with this or not but if you
have the disk you might want to use this.

James

> Thanks alot guys for being so patient.
> I should have sent the append line from the start!
>
> Mof.
>
> On Tuesday 11 November 2003 00:55, Jack Coates wrote:
> > try rpm -e --nodeps suspend-scripts.

> > > Yeah must be something I've done with kmail.

> > > yes, I even rebooted.
> > >
> > > Arrrgghhh, looks like I'll have to stick with 9.1 until I can work out
> > > what is going on here!!
> > >
> > > Mof.

> > > Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft?
> > > Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

["message.footer" (text/plain)]

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com