List:       mandrake-expert
Subject:    Re: [expert] Dell laptop hangs with 9.2 when lid closed.
From:       Mof <mof () labf ! org>
Date:       2003-11-09 7:57:57

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 05:28 pm, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 16:44, Mof wrote:
> > It appears that acpi and apm do the same thing, which is the prefered one
> > to use anyway ?
> >
> > And if acpi is the prefered, how do I load up the right modules ?
> >
> > Mof.
>
> This order of commands should do it.  As root.
>
> /etc/init.d/apmd stop
>
> chkconfig apmd off
>
> /etc/init.d/acpid start
>
> chkconfig acpid on
>
> edit lilo (or grup) and change
>
> append="acpi=off"      to
> append="acpi=on"
>
> This should set you up so that upon a reboot you are running acpi not
> apm as well as get the right stuff started.  Note acpid won't start if
> apm is running (conflict avoidence.)

Thanks James, but even with acpi working, it still hangs.
 Even though I have deleted /etc/acpi/events/lid, it still crashes when I
close the lid.
Here is a snippet from dmesg when acpid loads up:

ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT0] (battery present)
ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT1] (battery present)
ACPI: AC Adapter [AC] (on-line)
ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports C1 C2, 2 performance states, 8 throttling
states)
ACPI: Thermal Zone [THM] (73 C)
ACPI: Lid Switch [LID]
ACPI: Power Button (CM) [PBTN]
ACPI: Sleep Button (CM) [SBTN]

How is ACPI configured ?
I mean it looks like its stlll configured to do something when the lid is
closed, even though there is nothing in /etc/acpi/events/ besides power.
The bios is set to do nothing if the lid is closed, and the AC power is
plugged in.....

I'm getting close to giving up here..... :-(

Mof.

["message.footer" (text/plain)]

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com