List:       mandrake-expert
Subject:    [expert] unable to read write enabled floppy disk
From:       Azrael <azrael () azrael-uk ! f2s ! com>
Date:       2002-06-30 11:53:21

I am using Mdk8.2
I can read a write protected floppy disk.
I cannot read from a write-enabled floppy disk. Nor ls the contents, nor
write to the disk.

This is the line in /etc/fstab :
/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount
dev=/dev/fd0,fs=vfat,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0,sync,codepage=850
0 0

The floppy mounts ok, but when I try to ls the floppy I get:
ls: floppy/: Input/output error

If I try: less -f /dev/fd0 :

-- Àt"´^N»^G^@Í^Pëò3Ò÷6^X|þ^V;|3Ò÷6^Z^V*|£9|ô^B^V9|±^FÒæ
6;|Êé
      ^Vý}
          6*|Í^SÃ
Non-System disk or disk error
Replace and strike any key when ready
^@
Disk Boot failure
^@IBMBIO  COMIBMDOS
COM^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@Uªðÿÿ^C@^@^E`^@^G^@
^@^KÀ^@^Mà^@^O^@^A^Q ^A^S@^A^U`^A^W^A^Y ^AESCÀ^A^]à^A^_^@^B!
^B#@^B%`^B'^B) ^B+À^B
-à^B/^@^C1 ^C3@^C5`^C7^C9 ^C;À^C=à^C?^@^DA
^DC@^DE`^DG^DI ^DKÀ^DMà^DO^@^EQ ^ES@^EU
`^EW^EY ^E[À^E]à^E_^@^Fa ^Fc@^Fe`^Fg^Fi ^FkÀ^Fmà^Fo^@^Gq
^Gs@^Gu`^Gw^Gy ^G{À^G}à^G
^@^I    @       `                        À       à       ^@
¡
£@
¥`

plus some more stuff. I assume therefore that the hardware is working,
and that the disk is not corrupt (it works on a windows laptop).

If I try and cd into the floppy directory:
bash: cd: floppy/: Input/output error

Can anyone help please?

many thanks

--                   Azrael

            ("\''/").___..--'''"-._

Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of
the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with a cat it
would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.

ICQ#52944566

["message.footer" (text/plain)]

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com