List:       mandrake-expert
Subject:    Re: [expert] memory-problems
From:       dfox () m206-157 ! dsl ! tsoft ! com (dfox)
Date:       2002-06-30 5:40:38

> after calling pptp two- or three times between a short time the swap couldn't
> be found, and the system takes a very long time for EVERY action, I than make.

I don't see how the swap partition couldn't be found -- apart from not
properly listing it in /etc/fstab of course. It's either there or
not there, and in my experience it is never just 'sometimes' there.

I don't use pptp, but maybe there is something amiss there -- have you
tried 'top' to see what processes are eating up the RAM? There may be other
things besides pptp that are eating memory. In particular, jabber if
instaled is a big hogger of memory. But then again, you maybe didn't
install that.

Your memory report is about average but that is going to vary over
time, and over time some of that swap should be used. If 'free' reports
0 available for swap then you may not have it properly attached.

What does 'w' indicate? High load average could also be a cause for
slow responses between commands. If yours is a memory issue, does the
disk get used a lot (indicating heavy swapping)?

["message.footer" (text/plain)]

Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com