List:       mandrake-cooker-ppc
Subject:    Re: Compiling Problems
From:       <sbenedict () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-08-25 12:03:46

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Dippy Black wrote:

> I had notice someone else complaining about compiling problems. I have notice
> that I almost always have problems in Mandrake that I do no have in Yellow
> Dog. I am not a programmer so do not know what all the errors mean. Just that
> I consistently have problems. Here is the most recent example. This compiled
> fine in yellow dog.
>

> [dippy@localhost readline-4.1]$ ./configure
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking host system type... powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu

big snip....

> /usr/include/bits/sigcontext.h:28: asm/sigcontext.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
>                  from rltty.c:31:
> /usr/include/bits/errno.h:25: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
> make: *** [rltty.o] Error 1

You don't need to be a programmer to figure this one out:

[stew@powerbook stew]$ urpmf /usr/include/asm/sigcontext.h
kernel-headers:/usr/include/asm/sigcontext.h
[stew@powerbook stew]$ urpmf /usr/include/linux/errno.h
kernel-headers:/usr/include/linux/errno.h

I don't think there is anything intrinsicly better in Yellowdog in terms
of compiling over Mandrake, but you do need to install the right tools to
be able to compile programs.  We both use the same C compiler, and most
likely similar if not the same versions of the other tools.

gcc was trying to lead you to the issue, you just needed to take the next
step and find what RPM those files are contained in.

Stew Benedict