List:       mandrake-cooker-ppc
Subject:    Re: (Old) Macs powered by linux in a netwrok - documentation
From:       Rick Thomas <Rick.Thomas () POBox ! com>
Date:       2002-06-13 18:29:49

Here's a paragraph for your article...

One advantage of using (old) Mac hardware for a network server is "security
by obscurity".  Most of the script-kiddies that attack servers go after
Windows machines.  Of the limited reminder who attack Linux servers, most
use hacks that are very x86 hardware-specific, in that they contain
executable machine code for that architecture.  While it's not impossible to
modify the hacks to use PPC machine code, it's a much smaller (hence less
interesting) target.  The thinking goes: "I can disrupt the lives of a few
hundred PPC Linux server owners, or a few hundred thousand x86 Linux server
owners... which one am I going to go after?  Well, duh!"

This doesn't protect you from a dedicated cracker who has it in for
you-personally.  But it does keep off the riff-raff.

That's my logic for using PPC hardware in my home Linux network.  (I have an
x86 PC, running Windows/2000Pro, but it's heavily fire-walled away from the
Internet with PPC based application gateways and/or proxies between it and
the hackers.)

Rick