List:       mandrake-cooker-i18n
Subject:    Re: [i18n] Mandrakemove 2
From:       powerelectronics <powerelectronics_1 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-10-29 15:02:32

--- Robert Vojta <robert.vojta@mandrake.cz> wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> > That looks like a great option.  I hate to stray a
> > little off topic on this... but would it be
> possible
> > to make a larger capacity Move by using a DVD?
> That
> > would definatly resolve the capacity issue, of
> course,
> > everyone would need a DVD-Rom in order to use it.
>
>   DVD is not good choice. This product should be
> available for the
> masses, thus CD is the best choice. It's not true
> that the CD is not
> enough - when you "unzip" the CD, you'll get more
> than 1GB of data and
> it's enough for KDE and other applications like
> OpenOffice.org.
>
>   Why I should buy DVD with 70 languages when I'm
> using just one? Now,
> you can say that they should produce lot of products
> CD, DVD, ... But no
> one can handle this range of products, it's
> impossible.
>
>   We (the QCM, s.r.o. company) are Mandrakesoft's
> partners and we are
> producing Mandrake Move 2 for the Eastern Europe
> version which includes
> these languages - cs, sk, hu, pl and ru. Maybe you
> should try the same
> way - partnership with Mandrakesoft and "own"
> product production?
>
>   But anyway, if Mandrakesoft is going to play on
> the whole world
> market (and they will), they should re-think
> languages support in
> products like Move 2, because, simply, it's not
> enough.
>
>   I think that the Europe and America markets are
> covered with current
> languages (with our Eastern Europe modification
> too). But what about
> Asia? Japan? These people are forced to use
> alternatives like Knoppix :/
>
>   And to my "RFE" - generation of the .clp file is
> very simple and the
> Move 2 creator (Pixel) can generate them for all
> languages. I think that
> the best way is to:
>
>   - generate .clp files for all supported languages
>   - generate basic ISO images with English support
>   - create tool for handling of Move 2's languages
> (very simple)
>   - give all these things to the club members
>
>   Of course, you (MDKSoft) will produce Move 2 in
> the same way as today
> - the box with 5 basic languages support. But other
> people (Club
> members) can add their own language to the Move and
> they will be happy.
>
> --
> Robert Vojta

Hi Robert,

How about a CD distribution (for users of their
language) AND a DVD distribution (for developpers &
advanced users).
Because we are dealing with the huge world market for
the years to come, flexibility and choices should be
of high priority.
Great to hear from you and your work!

Regards,
pe