List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] Help needed with 8.0 install
From:       Kritifile <lalawless () wingets ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-06-30 19:20:04

Peter Ruskin wrote:

> On Thursday 28 June 2001 12:14, civileme wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 June 2001 21:49, Peter Ruskin wrote:
> > > I started this thread Wed, 20 Jun 2001 and I'm still trying.  I
> > > can't believe it's this difficult.  I made a brand new local mirror
> > > of
> > > sunsite.uio.no::Mandrake/8.0/i586/ using rsync, without exclusions,
> > > on my main machine, and tried installing from network.img floppy
> > > using NFS export.
> > >
> > > The repository was found, 2nd stage install started, used existing
> > > partitions and formatted /.  Selected packages (recommended, no
> > > individual) then the installer crashed:
> > > * reading /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc
> > > *   done
> > > * segmentation fault: seems like memory is missing as the install
> > > crashes
> > >
> > > This is reproduceable.  I have a report.bug - can I send it to
> > > someone?
> >
> > Ummm, I have seen that statement many times...  It almost always
> > means one of three things.
> >
> > 1.  Cable to HDD needs removal & reseating or outright replacement.
> >
> Bingo!  I had an old SoundBlaster CD connected to the same cable and, of
> course, it's not really an IDE but a proprietary interface, although it's a
> 40-pin cable.  Funny thing is, it has been working OK in Windows98 and
> Mandrake 7.1 as an IDE CD-ROM.

Strange, I experienced exactly the same crash while doing a text expert
install using CDs. I entered the amount of memory manually (160 MB and I
had no problems apart from the normal total freeze on X installation.
With a graphical install I've never had that message. The graphics
freeze meant resetting, running fsck manually to fix the damage done,
and copying my saved XF86config file. When will Mandrake fix the S3
Virge graphics install freeze? No other distros I've tried have it, and
Mandrake had fixed it for 7.2, now it's back since 8.0 beta 2.