List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] Can't install Mandrake 8.0 with S3 Virge
From:       Kritifile <lalawless () wingets ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-06-30 19:31:03

> quitedown wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am currently trying to install mandrake 8. I have a s3 vrige
> chipset. Whenever the installation reaches
> the X- config the computer just freezes. I  booted into my linux,since
> the only thing that didn't get configured  was the X server so the
> rest was working fine. I tried to configure x again and it is just
> hanged my computer.  Does anyone know how I can fix my problem?
> I just can't get X to work. I think this is a common problem with
> mandrake and i think it should be fixed or atleast till the next
> version a workaround should be provided.
> THX

I have the same chipset and I haven't even been able to get it to work
using command line tools in 8.0, although I could in 7.0 and 7.1. If you
have 7.2, which does not have this bug you can install that and do an
update. It will still hang, but after you reset and fix the partitions
with fsck if necessary, it'll work. Or I could send you my copy of
XF86config for S3 Virge 86c325, if that is your chipset. It's set for a
generic monitor that can do 1024x768 at the moment, with 4096 KB of
video memory, a generic ps2 mouse and a 105 key GB layout keyboard. Or
you could try running xf86config or XConfigorator from a text console.
The former usually works, eventually.
--
Anna