List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] rpm bombs out with unknown symbol
From:       David Walluck <david () anti-microsoft ! org>
Date:       2001-06-30 20:58:40

Kritifile wrote:

> It does the same with me. There was a mail saying that everything had to
> be compiled against rpm-4.0.3-0.8 but when I tried it still bombed on
> all package managers. I couldn't even use rpm <oldpkgs> to restore the
> earlier version, so I ended up re-installing. I thought of compiling
> from source, but I could not remove the rpm first and I was afraid of
> conflicts so I didn't try it. But I'm no expert, maybe somebody else has
> the answer.

Well, what I did was download some binaries from rpm.org, but of course
I lost a few entries during all that database rebuilding, but eventually
was able to get everything working again.

But as someone has already mentioned, it looks like the
/usr/lib/rpm/macros file has not be Mandrake-ized. The locations and
paths and optflags seem eiher wrong or like default (un-optimized) values.

Sometimes the install fails so badly I wonder how packages are tested
before they are released. For example, during my cooker network install
I had to install at least 3 times before it finished, and I still don't
know if rpm entirely works.

--
Sincerely,

David Walluck