List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] rpmsrate & task-kde discussion: default KDE desktop
From:       Frederik Himpe <fhimpe () telenet ! be>
Date:       2007-02-13 18:10:00

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 05:25:15 Ric wrote:
> On Monday, 12 February 2007 16:10, Frederik Himpe wrote:

> > 1. In a default KDE applications, there are at least 3 different
> > picture viewers installed (4 if you also count Digikam/Showfoto).
> > This is really too much:
> > kdegraphics-kuickshow (task-kde)
> > kdegraphics-kview (rpmsrate)
> > gwenview (rpmsrate)
> > digikam (rpmsrate: digikamimageplugins kipi-plugins)
>
> At least kview is needed for viewer in krusader as well as embedded in
> konq. kuickshow does not work for some bmp and should be *last* on list
> of possibles if it must be kept. My 2cents: drop kuickshow and keep
> kview.

- krusader is not installed by default, so installing kview because someone
*might* install krusader later, does not seem to be a good argument to me.
Instead, krusader should have a Requires or Suggests kview to fix this issue.
Keep in mind that I don't suggest to remove kview entirely, I just suggest to
not to install it by default.

- gwenview also embeds itself in Konqueror, both as a viewer for single files
when you double click on it, and as a gallery viewer for easily browsing all
files in a directory.

> > 6. kdebase-kdeprintfax and kdegraphics-kfax (rpmsrate : I do not have
> > a fax on my computer (probably like majority of people): please
> > install it only if such a device is found.
>
> -1
> Only install if required device is found s/b SOP but ithink is wishful
> thinking.  I think it is much harder to do than it sounds or would have
> been done by now.  It does not apply here.
> Your compurter _is_ a fax machine; you do not have to have external
> hardware. I have not used those aps but they should work just as well
> for computer fax as they would for a piece of deskspace sucking
> hardware.

Yes, it is certainly possible, but how many people do so in reality? I don't
know anyone with a desktop machine using his computer to fax. In a lot of
countries, PSTN modems are obsolete now, so in fact not much people have the
right hardware, also keeping in mind that most internal modems do not work in
Linux. The happy few which have the correct hardware, are just a too small
percentage to warrant default install.

> I have to say that if those are the only ''important''  install issues,
> MDV is doing good!   /me will find out tomorrow, maybe.

Well, it is an imporant issue I think. It is still the same discussion as we
had years ago: <quote>"Linux installs too much duplicate apps: 3 image
viewers, 5 text editors, 3 web browsers,..."</quote>. The situation has
improved a lot, but I think there is still a lot to do in Mandriva
Free/Powerpack (note that in Mandriva One a lot of my proposals are already
reality! I would just like to extend it a bit more to default free/powerpack
installs.)

--
Frederik