List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] Super user file manager menu entry
From:       Ze <mmodem00 () netvisao ! pt>
Date:       2005-08-01 20:34:32

Em Segunda, 1 de Agosto de 2005 09:36, Michael Scherer escreveu:
> Le Dimanche 31 Juillet 2005 14:24, Tim Edwards a écrit :
> > On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:53, Ze wrote:
> > > If you use our rpms, they have those menus that mandrake has
> > > unexpectedly removed giving as explanation that u can run them through
> > > console, or seeing things from same prespective there was no need to
> > > exist menus at all, you can donwload our kde rpms in
> > > http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.2/RPMS/kde-3.4.2/
> >
> > Thanks, it was actually when I was using PCLinuxOS (which is what Thac &
> > Co. are working on ATM isn't it?) at work the other day that it jogged my
> > memory that I've always wondered why Mandriva removed such a useful
> > shortcut.
>
> The idea is simple. The more you have in a menu, the more it is cluttered.
> So you have to see one by one if you need to remove it or not.
>
> Now, doing things as root is prone to error. So you have to avoid it as
> much as you can.
>
> Users taht want to run konqueror as root want to perform certain tasks,
> such as editing /etc/passwd with kedit, but this is not the proper way to
> do it ( which should be running drakuser ).
>
> So, instead of asking to have the shortcut back, maybe people should
> explain why they have to use it, in order to find how it can be replaced,
> or what doesn't work in the current tools that need to be corrected.
Is good to always have the option (a menu shortcut) that permits to run
konqueror as root, and for that is always needed a root pass like when u run
drakuser.
So far i still didnt get why mandrake as removed such shortcut and giving as
explanation that it can be run through a console as root, well for that
wouldnt be needed to exist menus at all!
--
Zé
Linux user #378762