List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] Critical bug, but no response!!
From:       Vincent Danen <vdanen () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2003-05-04 23:55:55

On Sun May 04, 2003 at 11:59:27AM +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:

> > > I don't agree it's a critical bug. Sure, it's irritating, but it's better
> > > than having your network authentication database inaccessible after an
> > > upgrade (which required recompiling with the right options to fix before
> > > the update). Anything that can be fixed without a compile can't be that
> > > bad.
> >
> > No doubt.  I hardly thing this qualifies as critical.  For one, this is the
> > first I've heard of this problem, and only one person has complained.  Now,
> > if there was a general outcry on cooker or expert about the hundreds of
> > people with this problem, that's a different story.
>
> Vince, I have answered this question myself probably about 5 or 6 times in
> the past 6 months or so, on various lists (samba, local LUG etc), but
> no-one who asked it thought it was "critical". I mean, the person who set
> up the box can just log in as root on a console, killall kscreensaver,
> then read /var/log/auth.log, and it's pretty obvious from there how to fix
> it.

So on various lists, you've answered the question once per month.  I guess
all things considered, even if any of them did seem to think it was
critical, the numbers would indicate otherwise.  =)

> But it would be nice to have it fixed, so that all the authentication
> methods work flawlessly. But then it would also be nice to have the
> authentication dialog available after install ... and I am not sure which
> one would be less effort to get done :-(.

Well, when kdebase is built next time, the fix should go in.  That's what I
would expect.  BTW, an errata is up regarding this.

> > This is the more logical thing to do.  An actual fix would be worthwhile if
> > we were updating kdebase for something else.  Since we're not, an errata
> > makes more sense.  Obviously, Laurent will have to take care of this when he
> > gets back (for cooker).
> >

> There really is a problem with the handling of KDE bugs IMHO. Can some
> arrangement not be made to have someone else available to fix the trivial
> but irritiating bugs in the KDE packages? Is there not someone on cooker
> with the ability, interest and time to do this? I am lacking at least the
> last one ...

Well, I don't know if there is anyone at mdk who can do this... I mean the
obvious thing is for the KDE maintainer to fix this.  Filing reports on
bugzilla is a good start.  If anyone feels there are bugs in KDE that
haven't been fixed in a timely manner (and are fixable by the maintainer),
then they should post a list of those bugs to the mailing list.  I don't
know... I don't pay attention to anything that has to do with KDE unless
it's a security issue.  I really don't know how bad or good the bug handling
for KDE issues are.

> > > BTW, it exists all the way back to 8.2 at least, so you can test it easily
> > > with your new LDAP setup.
> >
> > That implies that I'll be firing up KDE... that very seldom happens.  =)
>
> I was going to say something like that knowing Vince ... maybe running
> kscreensaver from inside WindowMaker would work?

Hmmm... interesting idea.  I'll try firing it up in gnome (what I'm running
right at the moment).  Hmmm... maybe not.  kscreensaver doesn't seem to be
the name of the actual program.

Ah well, I'll break down and (gasp) fire up KDE later today and try it.  =)

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
Online Security Resource Book; http://linsec.ca/