List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] Am now experiencing random lockups...
From:       jokerman64 <jokerman64 () netzero ! net>
Date:       2003-03-09 18:14:29

On Sunday 09 March 2003 12:22 pm, Buchan Milne wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, jokerman64 wrote:
> > I actually do need the opengl all the time; screensavers/games/xmms
> > visualization :) but i'll look into the kernel thing (next lockup)
>
> I would consider that "want", not "need". I need OpenGL for viualizing 3d
> data using grass/nviz
> (http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/screenshots/grass_screenshot.png),
> which is why I run 2.4.19-24mdk with the 2960 drivers on my cooker box,
> never had a lockup.
>
> Regards,
> Buchan
>
> (P.S. could you set Kmail 1.5 to wrap lines?)
true, it is want as opposed to need but the way to fix a problem is not to avoid (as \
I so often do) but to go looking for a solution. And in any case I'm not going to \
sacrifice opengl support for stabilty on cooker. The whole point is to break stuff \
and find out why (or report it so that someone else can). It happened again by the \
way and again it was when i was building rpm (cpu usage >95%). I'm thinking I may be \
                overheating. gotto get sensors working and check the temps.
--
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a
warning to others.