List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    [Cooker] Re: Zapping & Mandrake
From:       Iñaki_García Etxebarria <garetxe () euskalnet ! net>
Date:       2002-01-31 21:08:43

Hi Reinout,
> - in prepare_dist.sh, there is a space missing between /usr/src/RPM and
> the closing bracket ]. The RPM will only build when this is added.
Fixed in CVS, thanks.

> - when trying to install the resulting RPM, rpm complains about a missing
> liblirc_client.so.0, even when I *have* installed lirc. It just wasn't
> possible to find it in usable (S)RPM form which I think causes the
> dependency problem. I installed it the manual way. Isn't it possible to
> drop the lirc dependency for those who don't have remote controls?
Actually I don't include lirc_client as a dependency, that's something
rpm does automatically.
But i'm no rpm expert, so if there's any flag i can put in the .spec to
make it install even with some libraries missing, i would be glad to
include it (something like "%nonforce liblirc_client.so", you get the
idea).
There's a good reason for wanting to do this: plugins. For example the
mpeg plugin needs the rte library, but it shouldn't be a dependancy for
the main package. If rte isn't present, but the rpm is installed as is,
nothing bad will happen, the plugin will just be deactivated.

> - before building Zapping I first had to rebuild the RTE SRPM and install
> it. I hope this will be added to Mandrake someday (hint).
Nothing i can do here, i guess :-) [Well, unless it doesn't build
without rte, that's a bug, configure should disable anything necessary].

> - PNG problems. Now this probably isn't a Zapping problem but it's still
> causing me headaches. I hope you have an idea what I should do about this.
> The thing is that in order to be able to install Mandrake Cooker packages
> it was necessary to remove libpng2 and install libpng AND libpng3, they
> can coexist. Otherwise PNG images wouldn't work in those packages and
> these messages would show up on the console:
>
> libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
> libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.0.12
> libpng warning: Application  is running with png.c from libpng-1.2.0
>
> but now when I build Zapping 0.6.2 and run it, these messages show up
> again and the Preferences dialog looks weird!
I would say some underlying lib (gdk-pixbuf?) was compiled with the old
png.h

Regards,
Iñaki