List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] Bundling Linux-Mandrake with Networking Hardware
From:       John Kintree <jkintree () swbell ! net>
Date:       2002-01-31 20:38:37

On Wednesday 30 January 2002 16:55, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> just today we installed router/firewall wireless Access Point in our new
> office (which is part of product portfolio of the company I am working for)
> And indeed, it doesn't have caching capability.
> Do you think that caching capability is very important for such device?
> And, do you suggest that primary application for LM would be (in your case)
> Caching Server?

My inspiration for this is Rob Flickenger's book _Building Wireless Community
Networks_.  I have an Orinoco RG-1000 802.11b Access Point on order to begin
experimenting with this in my own home.  The goal is to share my DSL Internet
connection with my neighbors, at least within a range of about 250 feet from
my home.  The capacity of the Access Point, from 1 Mbps to 11 Mbps, exceeds
the speed of my DSL modem, averaging 1 Mbps downstream and 128 kbps upstream.
 It would improve the efficiency of our community network if my
router/firewall/also had caching capability.  Then if some of my neighbors
are viewing some of the same content, we won't have to retrieve it from the
Internet each time.  I don't really know how important this is because it is
still very experimental.  And, I'm definitely thinking about low-cost boxes,
built for the masses, easy to use, low power consumption, and costing less
than $500 including wireless card and maybe a 60 GB hard drive.  One more
thing; it should be easily upgradable to IPv6.

John Kintree
4043 Delor Street
St. Louis, MO  63116
314-351-7454