List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] Iwill DVD266-r AGP support
From:       Chuck Shirley <cshirley () smart ! net>
Date:       2002-01-31 18:48:43

On Thursday 31 January 2002 02:47, Michal Bukovjan wrote:
>2) Somewhere in groups I read that for this chipset, you should use
>agp_try_unsupported switch. I don't remember details, just try to search
>http://groups.google.com or look at the archives at
>http://dri.sourceforge.net. You may also find some useful info at
>http://gatos.sourceforge.net (I use their ati.2 drivers and they work
>great).
>
>Michal

Well, without shutting the system down, I did some poking about,
and added:

options agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1

to my modules.conf and lo, it did work. The improvement was large,
at least from my initial testing:

(glxgears)		(no agpgart)		(with agpgart)
default size		160 fps			950 fps
fullscreen		 22 fps			139 fps

All are with 1025x768x32(24), AGPMode 4

I suspect that with more complete support of the chipset
performance would be even better.

I have yet to try the Gatos drivers, but to make use of some of
the added features of the ViVo card (like ViVo) I suspect I will
have to do so.

Many thanks...

--
*Chuck*