List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] Networking in 8.1
From:       David <decibel8 () home ! com>
Date:       2001-09-30 12:53:45

Borsenkow Andrej wrote:

> David wrote:
>
>> I haven't setup a local network in Linux since 7.2, but I sure don't
>> remember it being this hard. I can ping each computer from the other,..
>> cannot connect to it, mount it, get samba ot nfs to do it for me either.
>> I can even get ifconfig and route to see it.
>>

> How do yu want ifconfig see another computer? Or route for that matter?
>

>> Is there something similar to the iptables problem that Guillaume
>> Cottenceau mentioned for the internet sharing? This really needs to be
>> setup easier. I set it up in Windows no problem, plus there is plenty
>> of good info on the net for it. Seems like there are quite a few ways
>> in Linux, but can't get it to work. I remember using swat to setup
>> samba last time and mounted the other computer. Come to think of it,
>> the other computer had Windows on it at that time and has Linux now.
>> Not sure if that matters, it should be able to mount it.
>>

> Mount WHAT? To mount some resource (in any way) somebody or somthing has
> to provide (i.e. share) it.
>

>> Any one else having any troubles with a local network? Not sure what I
>> am doing wrong.
>>

> Nope, no problems. And I do not quite understand what your problem is (I
> am not sure what exactly are you doing).
>
> -andrej

I guess I need to do a little more reading on NFS then. For example if I use NCftp an try

to open the other computer: open hpbox.computer (that is it's alias)
I get:

open hpbox.computer
Could not connect to hpbox.computer: Connection refused.
         Sleeping 19 seconds... I have them setup in host.allow

It nows what it is:  lookup hpbox.computer
hpbox.computer                           192.168.0.2

Have them listed in host.allow. ???