List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    Re: owner-list-name, owner-list-name-owner . . .
From:       Brent Chapman <brent () GreatCircle ! COM>
Date:       1993-09-29 22:19:04

ec@strange.pms.ford.com (Iain O'Cain) writes:

# What's the purpose of all the owner-listname, owner-listname-owner,
# listname-owner, owner-listname-outgoing, etc. aliases with majordomo?
#
# Looking through my aliases file, I'm seeing a number of lines that seem
# extraneous or else a number of lines that seem to require missing owner
# counterparts, depending on how I look at it.

The "owner-whatever" lines are used by Sendmail (at least some
version), to control who gets messages about problems with the
"whatever" alias.

Majordomo doesn't use "whatever-owner" itself; it only uses
"whatever" and "whatever-approval", plus the addresses defined for
$whoami and $whoami_owner in the majordomo.cf file.

In the sample.aliases file, "sample-owner" is a place holder.  If it
makes everything more clear, replace all occurrences of "sample-owner"
with "sample-user".

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman                                   Great Circle Associates
Brent@GreatCircle.COM                           1057 West Dana Street