List:       majordomo-users
Subject:    configuring a list for one way distribution only?
From:       mdomlst <mdomlst () packetstorm ! org>
Date:       2002-02-20 13:17:47

I am trying to create another list on our majordomo system that works the
following way:

1. the lists/distro-list  file is generated by an x500 process daily
(done)
2. commands to the list are bounced to the list owner and never processed
by majordomo. But the list owner can then read the mail and notify the
user that this list does not work in this manner.
3. The reply address is to the majordomo list owner only (keeps people
from reply-all message storming. This list is huge)
4. messages to the list are allowed from only a single address
5. the list goes inactive during certain times of the day so not to
conflict with other processes (done via multiple alias files already)

This isnt a spam list but a requirement for the company I work for to
provide a one-way messaging mechanism to notify people of outages,
security patches etc. Since the list is automagically updated daily from
our directory service, list commands are not necessary and would only add
to the confusion and maintenance.

I figured since we are already using majordomo for large subscriber lists
something like this would not be hard to do and we could keep the process
of handling it under the same program set.

Also i would have used pop bulletins but the accounts are not on this
system but on a series of exchange servers.

So far im testing it out on a dev box and finding that i cant block
commands. Heres the config

OS : Solaris 7 Sparc
MTA : Sendmail 8.12.2 running smrsh
Majordomo : 1.94.5

majordomo.aliases file
----------------------
majordomo: "|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"
owner-majordomo: me@co.com,
majordomo-owner: me@co.com

testlist:       :include:/usr/local/majordomo/lists/testlist
owner-testlist: me@co.com,
testlist-request:       "|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper request-answer
testlist"
testlist-approval:      me@co.com

the list file
------------------
lists/testlist
   me@co.com

majordomo testlist.config(changes from default)
-------------------------
admin_passwd = *******
approve_passwd = ******
get_access          =   closed
index_access        =   closed
info_access         =   closed
intro_access        =   closed
moderate            =   yes
reply_to            =   co_announce
resend_host         =   co_host
restrict_post       =   me@co.com
subscribe_policy    =   closed
unsubscribe_policy  =   closed
welcome             =   no
which_access        =   closed
who_access          =   closed

First off i can send subscribe commands to the list and they get bounced
to the list owner (me in this case). That is good.

Ok now the problems:

1. I can send a command to majordomo for the list but supply a bad
command, this gets sent back to the sender as well as me. Id rather any
such messages just be sent to me.

2. I can still unsubscribe from the list, it completely ignores the
unsubscribe_policy setting.

Im stuck in testing on this one currently. If anyone can help me set this
up like i need it that would be great!

Thanks

Greg