List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: Cannot build libb2
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2021-12-16 23:07:54

On Dec 15, 2021, at 14:25, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Dec 2021, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
> > The "-arch x86_64 -arch i386" in the log does seem to indicate MacPorts
> > is doing a universal build. The ways that could happen:
> >
> > * You specified +universal on the command line
>
> Nope...
>
> > * You specified +universal in variants.conf
>
> Nope...
>
> > * You installed a port that, because it does not support your machine's
> > native architecture, requires its dependencies to be installed
> > universal.
>
> Could be; how do I tell which variants were used by what?

If you are installing a port that indicates, for example, that it only supports i386, \
and it depends on other ports, then MacPorts must install those other ports universal \
for i386 and x86_64. If it did not, then you would only have an x86_64 version of \
them, which wouldn't be sufficient for whichever port it is that only supports i386.

To discover which of your installed ports fit that description, you could run:

port -qv installed | grep -Ev 'archs=.*noarch|x86_64'

> > If libb2 does not build universal, then that is certainly something we
> > should fix. A bug has already been filed about it:
> >
> > https://trac.macports.org/ticket/64148
>
> Thanks; I'll try the suggested fix, but...
>
> > If you want to explore why libb2 is building universal when you don't
> > intend that, show us what command you ran and the output. Specifically,
> > we'd want to know which port you are trying to install or upgrade when
> > libb2 gets build universal.
>
> It was no more than my weekly "port selfupdate; port upgrade outdated"
> etc.

Great, so one of your outdated ports, or one of its dependencies, is causing libb2 to \
build universal. We'd need to see the output of your commands, possibly with debug \
output, to know which one, if the above `port -qv installed ...` command doesn't \
provide the answer.

> Looks like I forgot to run it under "script", but when I tried again it
> now mysteriously works, so I dunno...  Chalk it up to a "heisenbug", I
> guess (I hate those).

If you selfupdated or synced before trying again, then your success is expected, \
since I fixed the problem as indicated in #64148.