List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: Files and Folders access
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-12-16 22:58:19

I have had two similar issues, but with Catalina. One where Gimp (from the Gimp \
website, not Macports) would not save a file to my Desktop and the other where \
Apple''s Screenshot facility (Command-Shift-4) would not save to it, although it had \
always done so automatically in High Sierra and earlier O/Ss. I got onto Apple \
Support's chat line about the first, and they suggested to upgrade my Gimp, which I \
did and it worked.

The failure to save a screenshot to my Desktop actually occurred during the chat with \
Apple, but I was unable to investigate at the time. A day later I wanted to take a \
screenshot and send it by email. Same problem. All the usual Unix permissions on my \
Desktop seemed fine, but there is a new extension called "com.apple.macl" which works \
some kind of magic (ls -@ld ~/Desktop to see it). Nothing I did at the command-line \
could fix the problem with my Desktop.

Eventually I found the "approved" method of making my own Desktop accessible to me \
again.

    1. Bring up a Finder window.
    2. in the left-hand column, right-click on "Desktop" and select "Get Info" from \
the popup menu.  3. Scroll to the bottom of the Info window and click on the tiny \
"lock" icon.  4. When requested, enter your Admin password.
    5. Click on "+". A window listing Users and Groups should appear.
    6. Select one (e.g. yourself). This should now appear in the Info window's list, \
with Privilege "Read only".  7. Click on the Privilege and select "Read & Write" from \
the popup list.  8. Click on the little "lock" again, to close it.

Not exactly "intuitive"… I would say. Also Apple's action regarding my Desktop, \
when it installed Catalina for me, is rather like a builder calling at my house to do \
some work, then changing the lock on my front door in the process, not telling me \
about this and then not leaving me a new key. I believe Apple's intentions are still \
good, but they are becoming careless of their users' interests. That works against \
them because I thought at first that they are becoming like IBM in the "bad old days" \
of the 60s and 70s. I thought they were trying to "influence" me to use only Apple \
products on my computer.

Re Gimp, I now have Gimp 2.10.28 from Gimp's website. It has been upgraded to follow \
Apple's latest security protocol. The first time I asked it to save to my Desktop, I \
got a dialog box asking permission and requiring an Admin password. After that it has \
been fine and is now on the list of "approved" applications in System \
Preferences->Security and Privacy->Privacy->Files and Folders.

Hope some of this helps.
Ian Wadham.