List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: Does MacPorts need ALL of Xcode?
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-10-03 5:08:11

> On 2 Oct 2021, at 6:20 pm, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign@macports.org> wrote:
>
> On Sep 27, 2021, at 16:36, Ian Wadham wrote:
>
> > So what is the "recipe" to install just the CLT with no version of Xcode present? \
> > And can that recipe be included in the MacPorts Guide?
>
> Run
>
> xcode-select --install
>
> and click the button to install the command line tools.
>
> Or download the command line tools installer from the Apple Developer Downloads web \
> site.

OK, thanks Ryan, but how about https://guide.macports.org/#installing.xcode ?

It explicitly says to install Xcode first, as a dependency of MacPorts, and then do \
xcode-select —install, which is what I have been doing for 10 years or more as a \
MacPorts user. And I suppose almost all other MacPorts users have too.

But in that time Xcode has grown from a gigabyte or two to 20 Gb on my current MacOS, \
Catalina 10.15.7. That is a significant slice of the SSD storage in a shop-standard \
MacBook Pro. So if a user does not need Xcode as a prerequisite of MacPorts, he/she \
should not have to carry the time and space overheads of downloading, installing and \
storing it.

My question then is please can https://guide.macports.org/#installing.xcode be \
re-written to help users who do not need Xcode for any other reason?

> > Couldn't those ports list Xcode as a build dependency?
>
> They do, by using this keyword:
>
> use_xcode yes

Chris Jones raised the point on 26/27 September on this thread that some ports \
require Xcode and gave this as the reason for MacPorts requiring Xcode.

But how many ports are involved here? What percentage of users are likely to need \
them? And what is the worst that can happen to a user if he/she happens to run into \
one and does not have Xcode installed?

I tried port search use_xcode to try and shed some light on these questions, but it \
gave "no match … found".

Cheers,
Ian Waham.