List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: Does MacPorts need ALL of Xcode?
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2021-10-02 8:22:48

On Sep 27, 2021, at 11:49, Filipp Gunbin wrote:

> On 26/09/2021 23:42 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> > The majority of ports will indeed build fine with just the CLT
> > installed. There are a number though where the build does indeed
> > require a complete Xcode installation, which is why the baseline
> > recommendation is to install Xcode. However if you are ok with perhaps
> > running into the occasional port failure (the likelihood for which
> > depends on which ports you use) you likely can get by just fine with
> > just the CLT.
>
> How can one check if a given port requires full XCode?

You can check if its portfile contains the line:

use_xcode yes

If it does, it requires Xcode to build.

However, if it is distributable, then it may already have been built by our build \
servers, which have both Xcode and the command line tools installed, in which case \
MacPorts can obtain and install that pre-built archive for you without you needing to \
have Xcode installed on your computer. In fact, if a port is distributable, you don't \
even need the command line tools installed to install it.=