List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: Does MacPorts need ALL of Xcode?
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-09-27 21:36:03

Hello Chris,

> On 27 Sep 2021, at 8:42 am, Chris Jones <jonesc@hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> The majority of ports will indeed build fine with just the CLT installed.

So what is the "recipe" to install just the CLT with no version of Xcode present? And \
can that recipe be included in the MacPorts Guide?

> There are a number though where the build does indeed require a complete Xcode \
> installation, which is why the baseline recommendation is to install Xcode. However \
> if you are ok with perhaps running into the occasional port failure (the likelihood \
> for which depends on which ports you use) you likely can get by just fine with just \
> the CLT.

Couldn't those ports list Xcode as a build dependency?

If a dependency has to be another MacPorts package, then perhaps there could be a \
dummy Xcode in MacPorts, maybe just a Portfile, that checks the presence and version \
of the Xcode.app.

Otherwise, new MacPorts users may be paying a 20Gb disk storage penalty forever more. \
And the time to download and install Xcode could become a disincentive for new \
MacPorts users in any case…

Cheers, Ian Wadham.