List:       macports-users
Subject:    Jigsaw puzzles
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-03-30 0:03:49

If you like jigsaw puzzles and are isolated or stuck at home due to coronavirus and \
looking for things to do, try the Palapeli port, which is part of KDE Games 4.

Advantages are:

- You can cut your own puzzles from your own photos, etc.
- You can choose the number of pieces and the general shape, using any of several \
                "slicer" modules.
- When playing, the game saves its state to disk every two seconds.
- It can handle puzzles up to 10,000 pieces in size, providing "holder" windows for \
                subsets of pieces, such as Sky, Edges, etc.
- The manual is comprehensive and is online at \
https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kdegames/palapeli/index.html or google kde docs \
                palapeli.
- An optional Preview window lets you see all or part of the completed puzzle.
- The game is in good working order, except for occasional crashes with minor impact \
                (see below).
- You get a starter library of five easy puzzles and can add your own puzzles to it.

Disadvantages are:

- Palapeli takes a while to install under MacPorts, because it has a huge chain of \
dependencies via qt4-mac and kdelibs4, but you can break up the load by installing \
                those two ports first from the binaries.
- Pieces are not rotated when the puzzle is shuffled.
- The functionality of the game has not changed for a few years: I was the last \
                maintainer, but am retired from FOSS development now.
- Crashes can occur when you move and join pieces rapidly: I was never able to find \
                why, but the autosave feature (see above) ensures that you do not \
                lose hours of work.
- If you have a Linux system, Palapeli is available in a maintained KF5 version, but \
I don't think there are many bug fixes or new features.

"Palapeli" is a German word with a meaning something like "pell-mell" in English.

Enjoy,
Ian Wadham.=