List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: gnuplot on MacPorts with aqua?
From:       Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign () macports ! org>
Date:       2012-04-29 20:58:12

On Apr 29, 2012, at 13:27, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> (Are there any guidelines/suggestions
> about filenames of patchfiles? I've seen everything from *.diff to
> *.patch to patch-filename to patch-filename.diff. This is a trivial
> issue though.)

The guideline is that the patchfile name should be "patch-FILE.diff" where FILE is \
the path to the file being patched, relative to ${patch.dir} (which unless you've \
changed it is the same as ${worksrcpath}). Replace slashes with dashes. For example \
if you're patching the file src/lib/foo.h then the patchfile name would be \
"patch-src-lib-foo.h.diff".

If you're patching more than one file but all the patches are to solve the same issue \
then it might make more sense to have a single patchfile, in which case you can name \
it patch-ISSUE.diff" where ISSUE is some short identifier describing the issue being \
fixed. For example, many ports are needing patches these days to be compatible with \
glib 2.32, so often that patch will get named "patch-glib-2.32.diff".

Running "port lint --nitpick" will let you know if any patchfile names aren't \
following the recommendations. But as you say patchfile naming is trivial, and we \
have many ports whose patchfile names don't follow these recommendations, and I'm not \
overly concerned about that.