List:       macports-users
Subject:    Re: New port: postgis2 (PostGIS 2.0)
From:       vincent habchi <vince () macports ! org>
Date:       2012-04-29 19:14:11

Hi Puneet,

>> I=92ve committed this morning in r92462 a new port corresponding to Post=
GIS v 2.0 and up.
>> This port is incompatible with postgis, that is to say PostGIS 1.x. Both=
 install the same files at the same place.
> =

> =

> Hmmm... That's a deal breaker for me. I don't have two machines to test i=
t out. Since the two different versions can haooily coexist, why not make i=
t so instead of requiring uninstalling PostGIS 1.5?

Because PostGIS 2.0 won=92t compile with PostGIS 1.5 installed. There are s=
everal include files that PostGIS 1.5/2.0 installs in ${prefix}/include tha=
t take precedence over the ones furnished with the distribution (because -I=
${prefix}/include appears before other -I=85 during compilation). Thus, if =
you have PostGIS 1.5 installed, PostGIS 2.0 will mistakenly use the already=
 installed headers to compile and fail.

Besides, I am not sure that the libraries installed by PostGIS 1.5 and Post=
GIS 2.0, albeit bearing the same name, have the same API.

Vincent