List:       m17n
Subject:    Re: [m17n] Japanese in OpenOffice
From:       Mike Fabian <mfabian () suse ! de>
Date:       2002-08-29 22:22:15

Karoly Banicz <Karoly.Banicz@cern.ch> writes:

> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Mike Fabian wrote:
>
>> I recommend to install the free Japanese Kochi TrueType fonts:

[...]

> Well, I have tried them, but I can see no difference whatsoever. They
> appear the same and print the same, so I'm actually not quite sure that,
> when I select Gothic or Mincho from the pull-down font menu, OO takes the
> new kochi fonts and not the old watanabe/wadalab ones.

> Also, the latin characters still behave the same way: not displayed
> (only blank space) but printed correctly.

Yes, this looks like OpenOffice still uses wadalab-gothic and not
kochi-gothic. This happens when the xtt-fonts.rpm is installed.

> [...] how can I ensure that by Gothic/Mincho OO means the new kochi
> fonts?

I don't know how to force OpenOffice to prefer kochi-mincho and
kochi-gothic over watanabe-mincho and wadalab-gothic.

But why not just delete xtt-fonts.rpm?:

    rpm -e xtt-fonts.rpm

I see no advantage whatsoever in wadalab-gothic and watanabe-mincho
over kochi-gothic and kochi-mincho.

The Kochi fonts are more beautiful, have a Unicode character map, have
glyphs for vertical printing, and have embedded bitmaps for sizes
between 10 and 20 pixel.

The xtt-fonts are ugly and buggy. Just delete them.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@suse.de>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。