List:       m17n
Subject:    [m17n] OpenOffice UI font setup (was: Japanese in OpenOffice)
From:       Mike Fabian <mfabian () suse ! de>
Date:       2002-08-29 16:16:51

Karoly Banicz <Karoly.Banicz@cern.ch> writes:

> There's only one visible change: the application fonts (those in the
> menues and the status bar) have become lousy. It seems OO now uses
> the kochi-mincho fonts for the application

If the user did not specify which font to use for the user interface,
OpenOffice automatically selects a font. Which one is selected depends
on which fonts are installed. OpenOffice seems to prefer TrueType
fonts. After installing kochi-mincho.ttf, this font apparently
happened to be selected automatically for the user interface.

> and I cannot make it pick another one by the standard X command line
> option -fn. How can it be set?

It works differently in OpenOffice and involves a bit of black magic:

From the OpenOffice menu select

    Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice.org -> Font Replacement

Check the check-box "Apply replacement table", and write

    "Andale Sans UI"

into the list-box entry field below. "Andale Sans UI" *must* be typed,
you cannot select it from the list. Select your favorite font for the
user interface in the list box to the right, labeled "Replace with".

Apply your changes.

Now it should look like

    http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/m17n/openoffice-user-interface-font-setup.png

I used "Chancery L" as an example her for the user interface, this is
ugly of course but "Chancery L" makes it very obvious that changing
the user interface font was successful :-).

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@suse.de>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。