List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Footnotes Formatting: Font Size and Double-Spacing
From:       "M. C. Sunny Wong" <mcswong () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-24 21:08:02

Dear Charles,

I was trying to reply your message, but it didn't work, so I generate this
new thread.

Thank you for your message. Your suggestion is very helpful.  Since I am a
beginner of LyX (I have been using LyX for about 6 months only), I am still
learning all of the great features about the program.

Here is how I solved my problem, and hope that other users will find it
useful.

1. I went to "Document > Settings...", then on "Document Class", I chose
"article (KOMA-Script)"
2. In the same box, I went to "LaTeX Preamble", then I add the following
scripts in the end:

\linespread{1.5}

\setkomafont{footnote}{\normalsize}

\let\myFoot\footnote \renewcommand{\footnote}[1]{\myFoot{#1\vspace{5mm}}}

The first line is to make the whole document double-spaced (regardless the
text or footnotes);
The second line is to make the font size of the footnotes to be normal text
size;
The third line is to make the vertical space between footnotes a little bit
wider.

I am not sure my scripts are efficient. But at least they give the format I
need.  Hope they are helpful for other new users.

Sincerely,

Sunny