List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: RPG Manual with Lyx?
From:       Luca De Marini <luca.darkmaster () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-13 14:54:17

2009/7/13 Vincent van Ravesteijn - TNW <V.F.vanRavesteijn@tudelft.nl>

> >> There is a package called 'wallpaper' that may do this very well with
>
> >> a little bit of ERT.
> >

> >Thank you very much for your suggestion. Of course I
> >can use it but the question is: isn't it better to
> >integrate it in Lyx so that people can use wallpapers
> >normally? In any case, I'll do it with ERT for now.
>
> We have an option to specify the page background color now, why not
> adding a wallpaper option indeed ? I'll propose this to the other
> developers. Let's see what happens ;-).

Yes, that's exactly what I meant :)

> > I don't know how you want to design your RPG manual. But if you have
> > complex and very graphically oriented pages, scribus is a better tool.
> >

> I don't know scribus, but maybe it's a powerful combination to be able
> to use scribus for the graphics part of your document and use LyX for
> the text.
>
> >The interesting thing for me is pushing Lyx to the limit, see if it
> >can do this work, see if it will make the whole process of writing a
> >manual such a pain that using Scribus would be better instead :)
>
> It's nice to push LyX to the limit. I can think of a special editor in
> LyX to design header-styles, chapter-styles etc. etc., but it will take
> some time before this can be done within LyX. For now, one has to code
> LaTeX.
>

> I'm very open to hear good ideas, ..

Very nice to know :)
What maybe someone is misunderstanding is I'm not asking for help on how to
create an RPG manual, I created some of them already with Scribus and the
result is more than interesting. Now, the point is SIMPLY that I love Lyx,
this is going to be a pretty long distance project, meaning it will take
some time to be done, so, I'm just proposing a case experiment to try and
see what can be done :)
When you have a goal to reach things can be seen in a much clearer way. If
you are interested I can write down some sketches of what is needed when
someone is designing this kind of document, with already created examples,
and what could be implemented in Lyx to achieve that goal. So that we could
analyze everything step by step and see if there's a way to implement this
or that feature from Latex to Lyx.

If we go trough this adventure I'm sure at the end Lyx's gonna have much
more potential than now with not so many added features! I mean, surely we
can optimize the needed features for this kind of work. A single new thing
can be used to achieve many different results.

All I need you all to understand is I'm not needing any help for this
manual. I'm just dreaming of being able one day of creating these kind of
docs with Lyx :)

Greets,

Luca