List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: LyX Forum?
From:       Helge Hafting <helge.hafting () hist ! no>
Date:       2009-03-31 15:21:41

Piero Faustini wrote:
> Hello,
> I wonder why could not these discussions been moved to a forum.

The mailing list is run by volunteers, and volunteers participate.

We use a mailing list because we want to. Therefore, no amount of
arguments can change that. The list can't be closed by force - although
it can die out if people disappear.

I prefer forums for stuff that I don't track - when I just pop in a
couple of times per year with some very specific problem. Subscribing to
a list is overdoing it in such cases.  But I want to keep a closer eye
on LyX, so the mailing list approach works better. I can delete
uninteresting threads and keep interesting stuff around as I wish. And
my email client tells me how many new messages there is in _all_ the
lists I read. I don't have to go around and check anything. I am not
going to either.

Now, if you want to look at LyX stuff only occationally, consider
looking at the web archives. Such as http://marc.info/?l=lyx-users
Here you can read anything in a web interface, without the
"difficulties" of subscribing.

> I mean, the discussion list is great but is very hard to use for common users

I wouldn't call it hard. Subscribe - and the messages keeps coming to
you. Sending mail to lyx-users@lists.lyx.org isn't hard either, it is
simply another email address. Put it in your contact list if that makes
it easier. Another tip: many set up their email to sort mailing list
messages into a folder of their own, so they don't fill up the inbox.

The instructions are on the web. Subscribing takes a little effort, but
I wouldn't call it hard to do.

If you prefer a web browser, get a free webmail account just for the
mailing list. That way you won't have to set up mail sorting either.

> (I use GMANE for writing/browsing but I still receive daily updates in my
> mailbox).
> A forum-like interface like Nabble would be much better but... why don't we use
> a normal forum site?

Several Lyx forums actually exists.
http://www.latex-community.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=19
http://n2.nabble.com/LyX-f475766.html
http://www.karakas-online.de/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

But you can't force them on people. Those who prefer a list will keep
running and using a list. If none of the forum people can provide
adequate help - well, come to the list then.  How to use the list is
described on the lyx website, or so I hope. Or figure things out and
become a forum-based expert yourself.

> There's a LyX forum in "LaTeX community" but it's not as active as this
> discussion list; anyway I found that, as I did, other users posted something
> for this list in Nabble and then didn't get the answers because they didn't
> know Nabble don't post messages not posted directly there.
> I think current (as past) LyX politic should be GO FOR THE AVERAGE USER, be

Considering users would be the policy if LyX were a company product. But
then, companies can pay people to run and monitor a forum that they
don't prefer to use voluntarily. LyX is run by volunteers, who do what
they themselves want. We make LyX for ourselves - and happens to make it
available for others too. Gaining market share doesn't matter so much
for a free product. It is cool but not necessary.

> simple and easy. Why LaTeX have a lot of forum sites, while LyX doesn't???

LaTeX is older and has a bigger user base. So there are enough people
for several forums - as well as several mailing lists.

> Lack of information or access to information is the worst (and senseless) way
> to discourage LyX users.

The information is available. And to be blunt - if a user can't be
bothered with the list, then we can't be bothered to help. We volunteer
some time for this, we aren't paid. We don't have customers that "are
always right." We help fellow users now and then, but don't jump through
hoops to do so.

Helge Hafting