List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: LyX Forum?
From:       Manveru <manveru () manveru ! pl>
Date:       2009-03-31 14:45:48

2009/3/31 Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com>:
> On Tuesday 31 March 2009 06:14:54 am Manveru wrote:

>> > Thanks Steve. I didn't know it works like that.
>> >
>> > Don't you really start a new thread by changing the subject? I this is
>> > the case, the information is still not organised/concentrated in one
>> > place as it should be.
>>
>> It should work in a way that Steve describe but often works like Nikos
>> said. I my case when you change the subject GMAIL treats that message
>> as new thread, that is way I do not like changing subjects.
>
> Either way, it shows up in search engine searches right next to the original.
> It's certainly better than not putting <SOLVED> at all.
>
> I've been teaching troubleshooting since 1990, and in those two decades things
> have changed a lot. Software has become more numerous, more complex, and not
> as well documented. Support has shifted from vendor based to community. More
> and more, I put part of an error message in a search engine to find out what
> others have done. Unfortunately, well over 95% of the responses are people
> asking questions, with almost no answers, and the answers that exist
> typically don't look any different, from   the search engine point of view,
> than the questions. It would sure make everyone's life easier of people put
> up a <SOLVED> post when they figured it out, to blaze a trail for those who
> follow via search engines.

Well Steve, I do not feel convinced to that. For me personally adding
<SOLVED> helps nothing in reading messages - this is not a request
tracking tool, but a discussion list. I am reading all new messages in
a thread and that is all.

It would not have matter to me wheter that <solved> is added or not to
subject, if GMAIL treats these in same thread, but don't. So for me
and probably many others using GMAIL it matters.

--
Manveru
jabber: manveru@manveru.pl