List:       lyx-users
Subject:    LyX Branch, self-compiled [was: lyx 1.6.2 for debian using rpm and
From:       rgheck <rgheck () bobjweil ! com>
Date:       2009-03-24 14:05:01

Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
> Since there seems to be no deb package of lyx 1.6.2 yet for debian, I wonder
> whether somebody has used the alien prg for the SuSe rpm package. Is it
> recommendable or better to use the source code?

Once you get used to it, using the source is very easy. In fact, even
better, download the 1.6 branch from svn and compile that. Then keep it
up to date, recompile it every once in a while, and you'll always have
the absolutely latest fixes, without waiting for a new release. Note
that since this is branch, fixes only go in when they're regarded as
safe---which doesn't of course guarantee that they are, though neither
is 1.6.2 guaranteed to be safe, right?

To do this, make sure you have the toolchain installed: autotools, make,
gcc. You'll also need some devel packages, though I'd be surprised if
pulling in the devel package for Qt4 wasn't enough to pull in the rest.
Then make a directory for the sources and do this:
# cd /my/src/dir
# svn co svn://svn.lyx.org/lyx/lyx-devel/branches/BRANCH_1_6_X
# cd BRANCH_1_6_X
# ./autogen.sh
# ./configure --enable-build-type rel --prefix /usr/local
---that last is of course optional, but then you won't overwrite the LyX
package.
# make
# sudo make install
And there you go. Absolutely up to date.

Richard