List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Strategies for Writing Co-operation with Non-LyX Users?
From:       Guenter Milde <milde () users ! berlios ! de>
Date:       2009-02-27 10:04:21

On 2009-02-27, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
> Am Thursday 26 February 2009 16:56:57 schrieb Wilfried:
>> Guenter Milde <milde@users.berlios.de> wrote:

>>> But how about trying to get LyX into TeXLive?

>> There is already a bootable, self-sustained Linux DVD available with LyX
>> integrated:
>> http://www.knoppix.org/
>> The homepage starts in German, for English click on the British flag.
>> One can download either a cdrom iso image or a dvd iso image.
>> According to the file "packages-dvd.txt", the dvd image contains
>> LyX 1.5.3-1 installed, but I haven't tested it yet.

> would be nice to have one with LyX 1.6.x. which has so many valuable new
> features! Any chance to produce one?

There are custom Knoppix-based live CD/DVD projects and there is support
for customisation of Knoppix (have a look at their knoppix.org) so this is
feasible. (I propose to wait for 1.6.2 with many critical bugs fixed.)

But my original idea was to get LyX (both Unix and Windows binaries) into
the TeXLive DVD, so that Window users could also try it in their "native"
OS.

Another idea would be some kind of integration of the LyX installer into
the TeXLive one, so that a user installing from TeXLive is just a click
away from installing LyX.

Volunteers?

Günter