List:       lyx-users
Subject:    RE: Strategies for Writing Co-operation with Non-LyX Users?
From:       "Vincent van Ravesteijn - TNW" <V.F.vanRavesteijn () tudelft ! nl>
Date:       2009-01-26 14:29:16

> While I agree, more or less, with Piero Faustini that _one_ way to
> push LyX further is to ignore other documents (especially .doc's) I
> still think that a tool should be interoperable meaning, except of
> getting it working on most operating systems, that it is able to
> handle most known/established document formats (painless
import/export).

Even if we can get LyX to handle 'all' document formats, saving your
work as e.g. MS Word format, will inevitably reduce the representation
of the document. That is, not all options of LyX are supported in the MS
Word format and vice versa.

Thus, painless import/export won't be possible. Maybe we should find a
way to perfectly support content-only collaboration:

Usually only one author governs the layout, so when you share your
document with a co-author, you only want him or her to edit the content.
Ideally: you save your document as plain text, your co-authors can open
this plain text in their own editor, edit the text, give back another
plain text file and you now want to merge this plain text file with your
LyX file and accept/reject the changes.

Vincent