List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Strategies for Writing Co-operation with Non-LyX Users?
From:       Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-01-26 14:15:21

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 3:42 PM, A B <gentosaker@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It'd be nice to have a list of things people need for collaboration. I guess
>> we've probably had that discussion before, but I've never thought it had a
>> very good outcome.
>
> The most importand would IMHO be to compare two documents and in some
> nice way, display differences so I can accept or reject them. Best
> would be if everything could be within lyx and never have to use latex
> or external tools.
>
> After  this feature would be lyx having the possibility to save/open
> documents stored on a server. ftp, wiki,scp,subversion or what ever
> that will make it transparent. And when you are trying to save you see
> the differences between your version and the one on the server and you
> can check them and accept or reject and save a new version.
>
> Also make it possible to use what ever document format you want to
> store your LyX file in. Then you can open doc files and save them on
> an ftp server without problem :-) Nice!  Well, it might require some
> configuration settings...

These are very interesting and useful points, but they a different
problem: the original poster explicitly asked on how to co-operate
with non-LyX users. I think that both should be addressed, but the
"non-LyX users" is the one to be addressed here. We should probably
develop two lists...

So, here are my points:

As I had some problems exporting into doc/rtf including pictures, I am
following the approach of sending my collaborators the .pdf and an
.rtf (or doc based on the pdf) ("ignore the formating").
Obviously, I am loosing the track changes (which would be nice to
have) and have to incorporate the comments manually. But if it would
be possible to import an rtf/doc/odf "text only including changes",
that would solve many problems (no idea if this is possible).

Cheers

Rainer

Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Faculty of Science