List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Lyx for business
From:       "Graham Smith" <graham.smith () myotis ! co ! uk>
Date:       2008-06-23 8:06:50

> > A rather vague question, but would anyone like to share their
> > experiences of using Lyx in a small business situation, or point me
> > towards some web links, with maybe example templates.
>
> Graham,
>
> I've been trying to do this for some years now. I have yet to persuade
> my partner to convert to LyX, even though every time he writes something
> (in OpenOffice or MS Word) he passes it on to me to "fix the
> formatting".  I usually just save it as text, import it into LyX, and
> return it to him in PDF format.

This sounds familiar, and was what prompted me to set up proper
templates and styles in Word, with a pain of death warning for anyone
who manually changed anything. It work fine most of the time, but some
people just couldn't resist tweaking things and this nearly always gave
us problems

> I have several templates for different purposes, and start my documents
> with a copy of one of them.  They are mainly based on Koma classes, and
> have features like a logo at the top of the first page, and a small logo
> in the running header on subsequent pages (set up in the Preamble).

Its the Koma classes that I have ended up using for the bits and pieces
I have done so far.

> I estimate writing and formatting most documents in LyX takes about half
> the time required for the same document in MS Word.

That sound reasonable, and I think you need to add the factor that the
document also looks that much better from Lyx than it does frm Word

> I also use LyX and Powerdot instead of PowerPoint for presentations.

I have been using Latex and Beamer (editing with Textmate) for
presentations. Beamer lets me produce a presentation and a handout in
one document. Unfortunately, the handout/presentation feature doesn't
work with Lyx, and it was this that sent me off to using Latex.
But coming bacl to Lyx for more general use

> I have the most problems with clients who absolutely insist on receiving
> reports in MS Word format (or even PowerPoint format!).  As far as
> possible, I ignore such requirements and use PDF.

That is my plan as well, I have Acrobat professional so I can enable the
comments feature in PDFs, and if they need a format to include as a
chapter in a bigger document then I assume they will have specific
formatting requirements and that an RTF file will give them the text. My
problem has been when co-authoring documents when every co-author uses
Word.

Graham

--
  Graham Smith