List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Lyx for business
From:       Steve Litt <slitt () troubleshooters ! com>
Date:       2008-06-22 16:25:43

On Sunday 22 June 2008 12:08, Graham Smith wrote:
> Steve,
>
> > Personally, I think for everyday letters, ad-hoc reports, informal
> > reports,
> > initial design documents, and general "stuff" that's not too
> > important,
>
> That's worth thinking about.
>
> > For formal reports that have to look good, and especially if they
> > have to look
> > consistent with former reports, I'd go with LyX over Word.
>
> This is what I am mainly interested in, having experienced how much
> better a report looks produced in Lyx is compared to Word, its the
> production of technical reports that I can see the biggest advantage.
> But I admit, I had been thinking of trying to move everything over to
> Lyx, as Rich has now done.

My experience is that LyX is really bad for ad-hoc type stuff. Therefore, if
you move completely to LyX, I'd recommend you pick up VimOutliner
(http://www.vimoutliner.org) for "thinking on paper". If you use it under
Linux or on Windows with Cygwin, you can incorporate non-text stuff into your
outline via executable lines.

Another suggestion -- For the ultimate multi-format ad hoc docs, use Kompozer,
a graphic web designer. It's available at http://kompozer.net/.

I use VimOutliner many hours each day, and I use Kompozer several times per
week.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package