List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: [OT] Best KDE-centric Distribution?
From:       Steve Litt <slitt () troubleshooters ! com>
Date:       2008-01-14 17:46:02

On Monday 14 January 2008 12:18, rgheck wrote:
> I've been using Fedora ever since I started using Linux, but the
> second-rate status of KDE under Fedora is starting to get to me, so I'm
> thinking about switching. But then: to what? I don't think Kubuntu is
> for me. Gentoo would be an option, but then I'm not sure I want to be
> quite that bleeding-edge. So, the question: What?
>
> Richard

Knoppix boots up into KDE, and they have a DVD version. Besides being a live
disc, it's easily installable onto your hard disk.

IIRC the Mandriva 2007 I use defaults to KDE and has lots and lots of KDE
programs (I'm writing this on kmail), but my hatred of KDE is so profound
that my first step was to switch to IceWM, and my second step was to find
non-KDE substitutes for as many KDE programs as I could.

It's my fervent hope that LyX never becomes a KDE program. Qt is OK, but IMHO
KDE programs have too many needless interactions with other programs (like
dcop server, gimme a break), needlessly causing crashiness and other
problems.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Books written in LyX:
	Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
	Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
	Troubleshooting: Just the Facts