List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Marking inverted branch insets
From:       Yuriy Skalko <yuriy.skalko () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-10-21 10:10:10

On 20.10.2021 17:20, Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2021 at 16:07, Yuriy Skalko <yuriy.skalko@gmail.com
> <mailto:yuriy.skalko@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>      >> Really I'm also thinking about more flexible system -- to
>     connect branch
>      >> insets to branches using logical expressions. So the branch
>     inset could have
>      >> logical combination of existing branches, not just branch name
>     with optional
>      >> inversion. For example now it is impossible to have a part of
>     the document
>      >> that will be outputted when any of 2 branches is active. But
>     with logical
>      >> expressions we will have inset "FirstBranch or SecondBranch"
>     that solves
>      >> this task. More complex combinations also will be possible.
>      >
>      > I like this idea a lot. I would also be interested in a dependency
>      > structure of branches (i.e., not variable by insets) along the
>     lines of
>      > "branch Q depends on branch C and branch D so to activate branch Q,
>      > branches C and D must also be activated". I think we should think
>     hard
>      > about exactly what features we want and the interface. Ideally we
>     would
>      > extend the current functionality without making the interface
>     much more
>      > complex for most users who I think do not use branches in the way you
>      > and I have in mind.
>      >
>      > Best,
>      > Scott
>
>     Really logical AND operation on branches can be implemented now by
>     nesting insets. Do you want to get separate Q to get simpler
>     expressions/insets in other places in the document?
>
>     Of course I agree that simple usage of branches should remain simple.
>

> FWIW, UI requirements for this kind of feature are not unique to LyX,
> XML authoring tools typically have to deal with conditional
> text/profiling. For instance, Oxygen XML and XMLmind have some UI for
> this (but it focuses on showing the attributes that are used to filter
> out some content, i.e. it shows the elements that the user can use to
> write their own logic to select the content to output):
> https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/24.0/ug-editor/topics/preferences-profiling-conditions.html
> <https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/24.0/ug-editor/topics/preferences-profiling-conditions.html>
> and https://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/_distrib/doc/profiling/index.html
> <https://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/_distrib/doc/profiling/index.html>

Thibaut,

Do you mean interface similar to Figure 2 here?

https://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/_distrib/doc/profiling/the_solutions.html

I cannot find screenshots of Oxygen XML on their site. Is it similar?

Maybe simple solution will work: Now branch inset dialog allows choosing
branch and setting inversion. I propose to add radiobuttons: Basic and
Advanced and leave existing settings in Basic part. The Advanced part
will contain just edit field for logic expression on existing branch names.

Yuriy