List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Marking inverted branch insets
From:       Richard Kimberly Heck <rikiheck () lyx ! org>
Date:       2021-10-20 17:58:06

On 10/20/21 10:36, Scott Kostyshak wrote:

>>> I have experienced this also. I think using a symbol is better for
>>> accessibility reasons. Perhaps additionally changing the color could be
>>> considered as well.
>> Thanks for fast reply, Scott!
>> I'm glad to know that it is not only my problem.

>>> I like this idea a lot. I would also be interested in a dependency
>>> structure of branches (i.e., not variable by insets) along the lines of
>>> "branch Q depends on branch C and branch D so to activate branch Q,
>>> branches C and D must also be activated". I think we should think hard
>>> about exactly what features we want and the interface. Ideally we would
>>> extend the current functionality without making the interface much more
>>> complex for most users who I think do not use branches in the way you
>>> and I have in mind.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Scott
>> Really logical AND operation on branches can be implemented now by nesting
>> insets. Do you want to get separate Q to get simpler expressions/insets in
>> other places in the document?
> Good question. Indeed I have used nested branches until now. But I find
> the nesting annoying, and I always have to pause to think what should I
> nest in what? But thinking about it more, perhaps your proposed feature
> would work for what I want. I don't have much time to think about this
> more now, but I do like that we're having this discussion. Perhaps we
> should write down a few use cases that would motivte which features we
> consider.

I also think this could be useful. Probably not for 2.4, though. (I'll
be emailing about that soon.) But improving the visuals for inversion,
etc, can be done right away.

A related thing some people have wanted is for LyX to output a LaTeX
conditional depending upon branches. So e.g. we'd have:

\newif\LyXBranchName
\LyXBranchNametrue

if the branch is active, and the obvious alternative otherwise. In that
case, we could also offer the option of outputting all branches to
LaTeX, but conditionalizing them this way.

Riki