List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Should LyX (on Windows) open a new window when clicking on a
From:       Helge Hafting <helge.hafting () hist ! no>
Date:       2009-06-29 14:49:34

Christian Ridderström wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a question about the behaviour of LyX which I'm using on
> Windows (Uwe's installer), here's the use case:
>
> * I've got a LyX file open in a LyX window.
>
> * I click on a LyX file in my browser (Opera), and a second LyX window is
>   opened. Actually, I assume that I've started a new instance of LyX.
>
> Is this behaviour what we want?  (I've gotten used to other applications
> opening the new document in a separate tab).

A new tab or a new window - a presentation issue if it is the same session.

New session advantages:
* If one session crash, you won't loose changes in the other document.
   Of course, LyX should never crash, but there will likely always
   be bugs.
* If one session is tied up in a 5-minute latex run (big book with
   many external insets - or slow computer) then other sessions will
   still be responsive. The busy session won't respond until latex
   finishes.

Same session advantages:
* Slightly less memory used.
* Faster loading as the running instance doesn't need to start up.
* perfect copy/paste of formatted data (including mouse middle click
   pasting) between  documents in the same session. This at least used
   to be a problem with separate sessions.
* You can make cross references between the two documents, when they are
   in the same session.

Helge Hafting