List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Official submission of eLyXer for inclusion in LyX
From:       Abdelrazak Younes <younes () lyx ! org>
Date:       2009-04-30 7:30:30

Alex Fernandez wrote:
> Fair enough. My views are much more simplistic: LyX currently doesn't
> do what 99.9% of users need, which is output to different formats
> including HTML and/or something importable from within Word. Thus
> many, many people don't know about an otherwise wonderful editor. The
> needs of these users (and of the majority of current users IMHO) would
> be adequately served by an HTML export tool which generates anything
> that does not look like garbage. Nobody is volunteering to write a
> tool that does what you want, so LyX could very well use what eLyXer
> offers. But perhaps as you say integration is not such a good idea.
> Separate packaging and distribution might be an enabler for people,
> especially if the most popular versions (Windows, Debian) do a joint
> distribution.

I must say that I agree with Alex' reasoning. Best is enemy of good...
and eLyXer is certainly good enough right now for most non ERT using
users (that's including me ;-)).

In any case, plastex tex4ht, etc will still be an option. We just have
to define a default export format for html (same as we should do for
pdf) and let the user decide what to use. Expert users like Richard will
certainly opt for something else than eLyXer and that's fine.

I personally vote for inclusion into LyX proper and do the necessary
cleanup/refactoring/whatever in LyX' svn.

Abdel.