List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Outline more persistent
From:       Pavel Sanda <sanda () lyx ! org>
Date:       2008-09-29 22:11:52

Richard Heck wrote:
>>> i tend for 3. solution but would like to hear your opinions.
>>>
>> I prefer 2, kind off. This can be done completely in the frontend using
>> simple string comparison techniques and session management. Each time a
>> toc reset is requested, save in the session the strings of all the nodes
>> that are not collapsed. When the model is reset, restore uncollapse all
>> nodes that present the same string. This method will not be 100% correct
>> but it will be just fine for most cases because only the current code
>> tipically changes, all others nodes keep the same strings.
>>
> I'd second that. And I'd think it wouldn't be that hard, actually.

the obvious disadvantages of 2:
- it would slows the current editation even more (note that current trunk
  needs 12 (!) reset calls after 1 character change in section (some sample
  in userguide). even now is editation and movement with outliner significantly
  slower.
- the code would be bigger than just freezng version
- there will be many ocassions we will uncollapse wrong branches, unless we do
  something Andre suggested, which would be even worse things wrt code complexity.

cough...
pavel