List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Alternative to individual embedding?
From:       "Bo Peng" <ben.bob () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-05-13 21:13:31

>  Well, if that's the idea, then I'm with Edwin (was it?) who proposed just
> using a python script for this kind of purpose.

It was Enrico's idea.

If you have read my response to Enrico's proposal, you should have
known that I would support his proposal, if only my goal is to provide
a way to wrap up my files and send it to my co-author. Unfortunately,
that is not, at least not all, of my goal.

<Quote>
However, I aim at 'creating a lyx format (yours is not), that can be
opened directly (yours is not) by anyone on any OS (yours is not if
you do not modify .lyx file to use /c/file), and produce identical
outputs. This would better happen without modifying existing .lyx
document (yours is not if c:/ is involved), and without loss of
information during bundling and unbundling (yours is not once c:/ is
changed to /c/)'.
</Quote>

The major inconvenience of the script approach, IMO, is that the
receipent has to use an external program to extract the zip file to
some place, and then edit. And there is no gurantee that the extracted
.lyx document can be compiled due to OS differences.

As Abdel has pointed out, my proposal is about embedding, and yours is
about bundling. They can co-exist. I am not against the idea of adding
Enrico's script as a way to bundle all files. It is helpful, and not
intrusive.

Bo